TEAM STEADI—Less Senior Falls! 1 in 3 adults 65 years of age and older experience a fall each year. Too often, patients report to emergency rooms to be treated after experiencing a fall only to have their primary symptoms evaluated and treated while not being properly evaluated for the cause of the fall.
CDC STEADI is proven and has many evidenced-based research studies. See below blog for what a Florida Physical Therapy Clinic did:
The Screening Questions included:
- Are you 60 years of age or older?
- Have you fallen to the ground at least once in the past year?
- Have you had several near falls in the past year?
- Are you currently taking 4 or more medications? Are you currently taking a psychotropic medication?
- Do you utilize any assistive device?
Then at the PT station, the CDC STEADI Algorithm (Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths & Injuries) was started.
The PT tests included:
- TUG (Timed Up & GO Test) for mobility
- 30-Second Chair Stand Test for leg strength & endurance
- 4-Stage Balance test for balance
If they are deemed a fall risk, a PT intervention is recommended
All patients screened were provided with literature and education on how to improve their home environment to reduce their risk of falls.
To see the complete article, see: http://bit.ly/2lX5v7e
See the STEADI Algorithm for the comprehensive assessment: http://bit.ly/2Y5cqt6
The STEADI Protocol coordinates well with the goals of value-based health care, better rehab outcomes, and decrease medical costs. Therefore, the quadruple aim is achieved. It has a multitude of evidenced-based research. I’ve used STEADI successfully for 15 years. It is fun and easy to use in ALL medical or senior living settings and can be integrated into Telehealth for follow-up!
EXCITING TIMES! October 2019 U.S. Senate Committee on Aging report: https://www.aging.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SCA_Falls_Report_2019.pdf
- How is your state doing, see page 10?
- Upper State New York did a STEADI- based program and reduced hospitalizations due to falls by 40%! See pages 20-21
- Examine how Epic EHR integrated STEADI. See how innovative programs in different states decreased senior falls with home environment safety changes, effective community balance programs, and medication recommendations
I provide Fall Prevention Classes to MDs, Medical Professionals, Insurance Companies and Senior Communities. Let’s decrease re-hospitalizations! http://bit.ly/30ivwxB